Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Antidepressants and addiction recovery

I would like to tell you about a very mild example. So mild that it cannot be compared to alcohol addiction or drug addiction. I'll talk about caffeine and nicotine addiction.

Several times in my life, I have use different antidepressants. I said different but all of them were ssri's. They were cipram (citalopram), lustral (sertraline, also known as zoloft in U.S.), effexor (venlafaxine) and lustral again.

On all of these, I had the same experience with my caffeine and nicotine addiction in the first couple of weeks. I needed less coffee and less cigarettes. Especially in weeks 2 to 8, I can clearly say that on some days, both cigarettes and coffee was seemingly too much to me. I couldn't drink and smoke at the same amount when I was not on antidepressants.

So, if this holds true for drug addiction treatment? I am not sure about it. I don't have a clue. I can just do reasoning. If your addiction relates to the serotonin levels in the brain, then antidepressants may rehabilitate your addictive behavior if not cure them.

On the other hand, this amateur reasoning of mine would not be valid for many other addictive substance. Maybe it may help if you are at the beginning of substance abuse and the substance abuse is just caused by your serotonin levels.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Judith Haven and i would like to show you my personal experience with Effexor.

I am 37 years old. Have been on Effexor for at least 1 years now. As soon as I was on the beginning dose I could feel releave from my anxiety. My family life is so much better. My kids notice it. They applaud my for taking the side affects for a better live with them. No explosive episode any more.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Nightsweats, I have twitches if I forget a dose.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Judith Haven

Effexor Prescription Medication

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

The site provides the information about the various rehabs centers. People are often looking for the drug rehabs centers that provide affordable and effective treatment programs for addiction recovery .

http://www.edrugrehabs.com/

Unknown said...

If you feel that you are going toward happiness and bad time is going down just coz you are taking dregs or alcohol, it means you are on the way to suicide. We are offering a program for the adolescents and struggling. The program is comprised of twelve steps drug treatment which provide the sober and abstemious life to the addicted patients and to the troubled teenagers.

http://www.drugrehabscenters.com/terms/12-Steps-Treatment/index.htm